Click logo to return to home page. ]

Home>Forums>Show Your Stuff!!!>Show me your early R/C projects Search Within This Topic   
Post Reply   New Topic   
Forum Jump 4 Pages 1 2 3 4
] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: September/13/2024 at 2:20pm  Quote

Quote: allanflowers
Next was a crazy pusher canard ("fictional scale"). It flew a few times, made the cover of RCM.

Sweet!

Ah, the good old days, when the cover of RC magazines would be graced with a good-looking model being held by a good-looking model...often a wife or daughter of the builder.

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: September/13/2024 at 4:54pm  Quote

Quote: Geezer
I started RC in 1968 with a Top flight Royal Coachman (designed by Don Dewey- y'all remember him don't ya) with an Enya 15. Radio was a Royal that I bought in kit form and built. I had to send it to someplace in Colorado Springs to get it tuned and working, I read the instructions and tried but couldn't get it to operate! I think it was over 300 bucks in kit form, radios were pricy in those days. No pix I rebuilt it three times, flights were short and ended in a crash for a long time, I built another Top flight (I think) might have been Midwest, Headmaster designed by Ken Willard. It was the smaller first version 48" span and had a Super Tiger 23 on it, The wing was a real survivor, I think I was on the 5th fuselage when I first landed it. A guy named Pete and I taught each other to fly, The guy without the transmitter would coach the guy with it and we eventually got there, no clubs or flyers anywhere near! No pix. I started fooling with hot rod cars in the late 70s and quit flying till 1988 when I got back in to it. Once again no body around but I built an Eagle 63 and flew it successfully in a subdivision that had no houses but lots of streets, then found a club. I've built over a hundred airplanes, mostly sport and trainer stuff for new guys to the sport. We formed a 4 star 40 racing organization with ten clubs participating, I built 29, 4 star 40s, 3 from Sig kits the rest scratch with foam wings. Sold all but 3 of them, I still have a wing!

Doc

Doc, would that radio by chance gone under the name of Blue Max?  Those were also kit radios.  I built two of them, six channel.  All discrete components.

Avatar User Offline Fieseler156storch
Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: September/13/2024 at 9:57pm  Quote

I started with a second hand Heathkit 8ch, Sig Cadet and Fox .35 in the mid seventies. 8ch was overkill, but the prior owner had the same goal of moving into scale later. No pictures survived my mom's house fire. 

Here is a couple more from the early 90s. I thought I may have "invented" and coined the name "SuperStik" back in the day. I built it as a taildragger. I put the radio in the fuel compartment and tank at the CG so no trim changes during flight. Also modified it to have a bolt on wing and no dihedral. Added a tuned pipe with a .45 for power. It would climb straight up.

The Me-109G slope soarer was some kit I don't recall of a Me-109E. I modified it to a "G" model. 

Build list 1:1 Pfalz DIIIa
13" RC Bucker Jungmeister
1/6th scale PE-2
1/4 Scale Fi-156 Storch
Providing there is enough lifetime left to do

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: September/14/2024 at 5:32am  Quote

Quote: Appowner
Quote: Geezer
I started RC in 1968 with a Top flight Royal Coachman (designed by Don Dewey- y'all remember him don't ya) with an Enya 15. Radio was a Royal that I bought in kit form and built. I had to send it to someplace in Colorado Springs to get it tuned and working, I read the instructions and tried but couldn't get it to operate! I think it was over 300 bucks in kit form, radios were pricy in those days. No pix I rebuilt it three times, flights were short and ended in a crash for a long time, I built another Top flight (I think) might have been Midwest, Headmaster designed by Ken Willard. It was the smaller first version 48" span and had a Super Tiger 23 on it, The wing was a real survivor, I think I was on the 5th fuselage when I first landed it. A guy named Pete and I taught each other to fly, The guy without the transmitter would coach the guy with it and we eventually got there, no clubs or flyers anywhere near! No pix. I started fooling with hot rod cars in the late 70s and quit flying till 1988 when I got back in to it. Once again no body around but I built an Eagle 63 and flew it successfully in a subdivision that had no houses but lots of streets, then found a club. I've built over a hundred airplanes, mostly sport and trainer stuff for new guys to the sport. We formed a 4 star 40 racing organization with ten clubs participating, I built 29, 4 star 40s, 3 from Sig kits the rest scratch with foam wings. Sold all but 3 of them, I still have a wing!

Doc

Doc, would that radio by chance gone under the name of Blue Max?  Those were also kit radios.  I built two of them, six channel.  All discrete components.
Nope, Royal was a company all their own I remember the Blue Max radios though. If discreet components means putting 28 resistors transistors caps and various other bits on a postage stamp size circuit board then that's what it was, for the servos anyway the Rx and Tx were naked circuit boards and I installed all components. I was in the Air Force and borrowed a solid state soldering station from one of the shops to do the work with. I later expanded it to 5 channel and bought a factory made 5 channel single stick. I also bought a used Kraft 5 channel single stick at the Toledo show one year, 71 I think. The show was in the Mud Hens field house and it was freezing in there, went to it several years. Lived in Ohio (hometown) mid 69 to Dec 73 two hour drive to Toledo!

2 Build light they fly better!
If it was easy everyone would do it!

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: September/14/2024 at 9:45am  Quote

My RCM 15-500, circa 1975.  I was 14 years old and purchased everything with proceeds from my paper route.

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: September/14/2024 at 5:49pm  Quote

Quite the serious young man, onward !

2 Build light they fly better!
If it was easy everyone would do it!

]
] ]