]
Author / Post
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: March/01/2021 at 3:08pm  Quote

All,

I am glad to join up.  I have occasioned this site now and then but my interests have been mostly focused on giant scale 3d aerobat's.  However, about a year and half ago I started a Roban B-25 project that was loads of fun.  I even got to breakout the old air brush!  However, this was only partially fulfilling as it was paired with twin electric motors.  Don't get me wrong, they fly the bird extremely well and there is definitely something to be said for electric when it comes to twins.  However, I love engines.  

In the fall I will be starting a Texas RC Giant (97 inch) P-47 Razorback.  I am putting a UMS 5-125cc in it.  It should be a lot of fun.  Between now and then I plan to just read away and absorb as much as I can.  

Thanks and I look forward to posting.

-Jeff

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: March/01/2021 at 4:09pm  Quote

Jeff- Welcome to the site.  Lots of P-47 builds here to look over.  I am using a UMS 5-55cc radial on my Hostettler Cessna 195.  So far I have found it to be a nicely performing machine that is easy to manage.  Be sure and start a build thread when you get started.- Matt

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: March/02/2021 at 6:59am  Quote

Matt,

I definitely will.  Lots of great info here.  

Thanks for the welcome.

-Jeff

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Head Curmudgeon
IP Logged
Posted: March/02/2021 at 7:22am  Quote

Jeff,
Welcome! from the looks of things you will be teaching us a few things.....
Sparky

Gamma RIP

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: August/08/2024 at 4:47pm  Quote

Jeff,
Just rejoined RCSB.   I built the Roban B-25 and had a friend maiden it for me on electrics about 5 years ago.   All went well until about 4:36 into the flight. Augered in from 250’ onto a concrete taxiway.   Just finally getting back to building another one which I am modeling after one my dad flew in.

How did you like your Roban and how long did you keep it?

Pete

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
IP Logged
Posted: August/08/2024 at 6:41pm  Quote

Jeff,

Nice B-25 and P-47. Where in Texas are you flying?

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: August/08/2024 at 8:27pm  Quote

Pete and Ed,

Thanks for saying hello. sorry to hear about the B-25. I actually still have mine. However, full disclosure, I think I ripped out my gear last time I flew it (sometime last year). It flies great. Very scale and has tons of power with the scorpion motors. However, I always have to grease the landing as it is pretty heavy. Again though, it is pretty scale, it isn’t a floater and it is not meant to be.

I fly in the Dallas Fort Worth area. I am a member of the Grapevine club which is very central, right near DFW airport. Speaking of the P47. It is no more. It was a beauty but physics (or more accurately, fluid dynamics) got in the way. I powered it with a UMS125 5 cylinder radial. It took off great and I was able to fly around 3 or 4 laps with no problem. Then on the downwind leg, just before the turn to base, I cut back on the power and it went dead stick! It dropped like a 35 lbs rock and crashed in the trees. I just had no altitude. The post mortem with Andrian from CH Ignitions was that I misunderstood the directions. For this engine you are advised to chuck the cheap Chinese pump. It is “not needed”. HOWEVER, I thought this meant I could forego a fuel pump altogether….WRONG! I needed an expensive German APS pump.

The funny thing is when Adrian explained it, it made total sense. The engine uses a Walbro carb just like my 2 cycle engines. This means that it relies on the crankcase to provide pulse pressure to drive the pumping action of the carb. Adrian pointed out that in a 5 cylinder engine you have cylinders moving up and down at the same time so the resultant pressure is LOWER or weaker than you we typically see in like a DA engine. This is why the engine needs the fuel pump to boost the pump pressure. Logical….after the fact. Lesson learned. This is why I love this hobby. (Can you tell that I am an engineer…or was?)

Anyways, one door closes, another opens. After licking my wounds for a year I just finished putting the radial into an 85 inch Extreme Flight Muscle Bipe. Beautiful plane that runs great with this engine. Is it overkill…definitely…but the sound is so cool.

Here are some pics and a link to my maiden flight….

https://youtu.be/8k4aUWivdWU?feature=shared

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
IP Logged
Posted: August/09/2024 at 5:33am  Quote

Jeff:

You are invited to the Texas Scale Championship just a hop skip and short jump to Greater Southwest Aero Modelers (click for Google Map turn by turn directions) field at 6903 Randol Mill Road Saturday Sept. 7th and 8th. Call Lawrence Harville for particulars... (D-8 VP).

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

]
] ]