] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: August/16/2024 at 7:11am  Quote

After a few discussions with Steve I decided to make a couple setup modifications to eliminate any doubt that the carb is operating in the best possible conditions.  The DLE carb comes with a hose barb tap for venting off the diaphragm pump, so why not use it.  I attached a short piece of tubing to it, ran it through the firewall an into the body of the fuse where atmospheric pressure should be more normalized.  I also drilled a 1" diameter hole in the firewall directly behind the carb.  There can be a lot of back and forth on the need for this hole but what do I have to loose, so I did it .

After making these mods, I decided to run the engine again with the cowl removed.  I instantly gained ~200 more RPM and was able to continue to lean the high end out with continued performance gain.  Ultimately getting ~6130 RPM +/- (almost 400 more RPM than before).  This is more like it!  I did have to richen up the low end a little, not unexpected with cranking down the high end.  

Now it's interesting that when I put the cowl on the day before that the low end became lean and the high end became rich.  Making this firewall and vent mod basically did the same thing with the cowl off.  So, I'm hoping that with the cowl on I don't loose anything but maybe gain?  Will have to wait and see as it was getting dark and I didn't want to mess with it anymore.  

Hole in firewall for the carb intake.

Vent tube

This is more like it!

Wanted to document this...paperclip through the bolt heads.  They are not going to turn out.

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: August/16/2024 at 1:49pm  Quote

Well, I'm partially on the right track but completely off on another as something just hit me like a ton of bricks earlier today.  I have been looking at the carb wrong this whole time and using the needle valves backwards.  My rule of thumb that I use is the high end needle valve is farthest from the engine and the low end valve is closest to the engine.  Well...I have been adjusting the low end valve as if it were the high end valve.  Why? I don't know.

Well, the good news is I figured that out .  Hopefully the weekend will bring resolution to all my challenges!

Ryan

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: August/17/2024 at 4:08am  Quote

Why Ryan Why? 

It's all good, now you know!

BUSA: Eindecker, SE5a, D-VII
Ziroli: Skyraider, Stuka
GP Ryan STA
Building: Ziroli P-40 Warhawk
Reidsville, NC

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: August/18/2024 at 7:06pm  Quote

P-51D Janie is so beautiful I would hate to see anything bad happen to it. Hopefully the maiden flight is the sketchiest thing that will ever happen to it and it will all be good from now on.

I never felt good about having the carb right up against the firewall so I make a cup of fiberglass molded around a plastic bottle then put the cup in the firewall.

I would try several props, measure the static thrust with my ever so primitive static thrust test rig and use the one that made the most static thrust.

The two bolts on the upper left is what the safety wire on the two muffler allen screws should look like.

Safety Wire

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: August/19/2024 at 7:02am  Quote

Hi Karl, thanks for the comment and thanks for sharing your method.

I opted for a taught paperclip instead of wiring the screws as you show.  I figured as stiff as a paperclip is, if I made it tight so it could not create slack that the screws could not back out.  As a bonus, it is easy to remove and reuse. 

Ryan

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: August/19/2024 at 7:19am  Quote

Quote: Steve_O
Why Ryan Why? 

It's all good, now you know!

Why?  If only I knew.  I do know one thing, we have all been there at some point or another .

Yes, I did figure it out and now all is good in RPM land!  I took the cowl off and went back through my carb adjustment process and now I'm getting ~6300 RPM +/- with a constant hold above 6200RPM.  Throttle transition is instant and idle is smooth as silk.  I didn't get to put the cowl back on and give that a go as thunderstorms were rolling in, but for now I am very happy with the results of my muffler and other mods.

More to come .

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: August/19/2024 at 7:38am  Quote

Curious to hear more about the shaft extension that allowed the engine to be set back further into the cowling.  
  Where did you obtain and can you provide any further details about it?  Any negatives with it ?
This would allow for a deeper engine on several of my projects which would allow more room for dummy radial, etc. Or in your case, keeping the engine mostly inside the cowling.
  REgards-Mike O

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: August/19/2024 at 7:44am  Quote

Hi Mike,

Sierra Giant Scale makes and sells them.  Linky

I contacted them to see if they made one for the DLE and they said that the DA they make was the same and would work.

It is possible it creates more vibration but I have nothing really to compare it to.  I just make sure my prop and spinner are perfectly balanced.  It seems not to have any effect on the engine at low idle or full throttle.

Ryan

]
] ]