]
Author / Post
Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Head Curmudgeon
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: August/19/2024 at 8:22am  Quote

Any extension you add should have a run-out checked with a dial indicator. Just clocking the spacer around its rotation will make a noticeable difference.
Sparky

Gamma RIP

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: August/19/2024 at 9:51am  Quote

Quote: rb27989
Quote: Steve_O
Why Ryan Why? 

It's all good, now you know!

Why?  If only I knew.  I do know one thing, we have all been there at some point or another .

Yes, I did figure it out and now all is good in RPM land!  I took the cowl off and went back through my carb adjustment process and now I'm getting ~6300 RPM +/- with a constant hold above 6200RPM.  Throttle transition is instant and idle is smooth as silk.  I didn't get to put the cowl back on and give that a go as thunderstorms were rolling in, but for now I am very happy with the results of my muffler and other mods.

More to come .

That's great news! Congratulations!

Oh yeah, we have all been there. 

Thank you for sharing the prop extension link too, both the Stuka and P-40 cylinders are Very close to the cowl. On the Stuka i had to set the radiator fins and a slight angle to gain some clearance.
A 1" spacer on both would have been great. 

BUSA: Eindecker, SE5a, D-VII
Ziroli: Skyraider, Stuka
GP Ryan STA
Building: Ziroli P-40 Warhawk
Reidsville, NC

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: September/16/2024 at 2:33pm  Quote

Update:  I went to the Flying Tigers RC Club warbird event over the weekend down in Scranton, SC.  On Thursday late evening the weather conditions improved enough to entice me to get the P-51 out and give it a go.  I got two flights in.  Here is a link to the first flight: Linky.  

On the first flight as I came around to complete my first circuit, we noticed it looked like my canopy was about to fly off.  So I immediately throttled back and decided to land.  Upon landing I mentally reviewed the takeoff (which I had problems with before due to soft tires), the flight, and landing.  All I can say is I was well pleased and couldn't wait to get it back in the air.

After some field repairs (and some tape for insurance) along with a little low end needle adjustment to richen the low end, it was back to flight number 3.  Takeoff was even better and she flies like a dream!  Now this flight was not without it's early flight problems.  The screw that helps keep my radiator scoop attached came loose and I lost the scoop.  Luckily it fell at the left end of the runway and was retrieved after the flight.  I kept flying as normal feeling the bird out.  I have a telemetry RPM sensor in the plane so I decided to peak at that and I was averaging 7700rpm in the air.  We could tell it was really opening up in the air.  It's just like a typical P-51, they will overheat on the ground and need to be in moving air.  So this is going to be a crank and go type airplane.  On the ground I was only getting 6300 rpm, it was a real nice surprise to hear and see the engine open up in the air.  The flight was not without one more surprise.  I lost the spinner!  The center spinner bolt sheered right off.  Fearing I might have damaged the prop I immediately set up and landed.  Another greaser I have to say .  Luckily the corn field we were flying over had been harvested and with a little guidance from those who followed the spinner into the ground I ventured out the next morning for a little search and recovery.  Just as I was going to give it up, I walked right up on the spinner.

Now to figure this spinner thing out...this is not the first time this has happened.  Will save this for another post as after some discussions and reading of some blogs I think I know what part of the problem might be.

Ryan

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: September/16/2024 at 2:47pm  Quote

Hi Ryan

I was at the same event last week (with my Boeing 727) and saw you flying but didn't make the connection that it was Janie.

Josh

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: September/16/2024 at 3:01pm  Quote

Quote: N99JH
Hi Ryan

I was at the same event last week (with my Boeing 727) and saw you flying but didn't make the connection that it was Janie.

Josh

Well dang, Josh.  

We need to do the formal introduction thing the next time we cross paths.  I will be at RAMS this coming weekend.

Ryan

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: September/16/2024 at 3:06pm  Quote

Ryan

We sure do. Do you live in SC? Where is the RAMS?

Josh

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: September/16/2024 at 3:18pm  Quote

Josh,

I live in NC about 50 minutes north of Charlotte.  I usually have to do some driving to hang out with friends and enjoy some larger events.

The Riverside Aeromodellers Society (RAMS Club) is in East Bend, NC.  They have a huge wide open filed.  I you have never been there you need to visit.  They are putting on a Giant Scale event this weekend September 18-22.  You can visit their website at riversiderc.com

Ryan

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: September/16/2024 at 3:29pm  Quote

Congratulations Ryan!
It's looking great!
It takes time to get all the bugs out of these complex planes, you are getting there!
Enjoy the RAMS event, it's always a great time, unfortunately i will miss it for the first time in several years.

BUSA: Eindecker, SE5a, D-VII
Ziroli: Skyraider, Stuka
GP Ryan STA
Building: Ziroli P-40 Warhawk
Reidsville, NC

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

]
] ]